MSME guidelines for payment
MSME Law Notes by NB Associates
The MSME Act, or the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act, 2006, is an Indian legislation that provides guidelines and regulations for the promotion, development, and enhancement of competitiveness of micro, small, and medium enterprises in India.
We are the leading Law firm / Lawyers providing comprehensive MSME legal consultancy to our clients. We also help and legally assist our clients in the recovery of dues or outstanding.
Clients may contact us on the given number for any legal consultancy.
Contact no : 9811899279
The act includes provisions related to various aspects of MSMEs, including payments. Here are some key guidelines regarding payment under the MSMED Act:
The act mandates that the buyer is required to make the payment to the supplier of goods or services from the micro or small enterprise on or before the agreed-upon date or within 45 days from the acceptance of the goods or services, whichever is earlier.
Interest on delayed payment
In case the buyer fails to make the payment within the stipulated timeframe, they are liable to pay compound interest with monthly rests to the supplier. The interest rate is three times the bank rate notified by the Reserve Bank of India or the rate specified in the agreement, whichever is higher.
It is advisable for both the buyer and the supplier to have a written agreement or contract specifying the payment terms and conditions, including the payment due date, interest on delayed payment, and any other relevant terms.
Filing a complaint
If the payment is not made by the buyer within the specified timeframe, the supplier can file a complaint under the MSMED Act. The complaint can be filed with the Micro and Small Enterprise Facilitation Council (MSEFC) established under the act.
MSEFC dispute resolution
The MSEFC is responsible for resolving disputes related to delayed payments between the buyer and the supplier. The MSEFC will examine the matter and pass appropriate orders, which may include directing the buyer to make payment along with interest.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MSME?
- How MSME claim is filed?
- What is MSME Samadhan?
- Who are eligible for MSME Samadhan?
- Where can an MSME claim be filed? Jurisdictions
- How effective is MSME Samadhan?
- What are the benefits of MSME Samadhan?
- Whether Limitation Act applies to claims under MSME Act?
Related Law Articles
- MSME Claim Settlement Procedure – A Boon for MSMEs.
- MSME Payment Delay – Legal way to recovery.
- MSME Samadhan Scheme – the effective recovery system.
- Delayed payments to micro and small enterprises – MSME Act.
- MSME online case filing – the process a significant step.
- MSME Case Filing – Step-by-Step Procedure.
- MSME & Limitation Act – Applicability on recovery proceeding.
- MSME Complaint – MSME Complaint Mechanism.
- Can Bank guarantee be accepted as 75% pre-deposit u/s 19 MSME Act?
- Can deposit of 75% u/s 19 of the MSME Act be in Instalments?
- Whether the condition of 75% deposit under sec 19 MSME act is mandatory?
- Whether mere notice of conciliation by the MSME facilitation council wipe out the legal defence of limitation?
- Court’s power to extend mandate in Arb proceeding under MSME Act.
- MSFC reference can be challenged in writ jurisdiction.
- MSME Complaint Online For Payment – through MSME Samadhan
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development (Furnishing of Information) Rules, 2016
- MSME Fund Rules, 2016
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (Amendment) Rules, 2022
- Rules of furnishing information on Plant & Machinery/Equipment
- Click here: Criteria for classifying the enterprises as micro, small and medium enterprises and specifies the form and procedure for filing the memorandum known as ―Udyam Registration.
- Click here: Guidelines for calculating Investment in Plant & Machinery
- Click here: Udyam Registration: Clarification regarding the Financial Year in respect of the data of Investment, Turnover and Export from the IT Department and GSTN for effecting the Classification of MSMEs -reg.